How to Apply and Eligibility:
MPL LibraryCorps members will help young people develop a love of reading, increase information literacy skills, and establish relationships with youth that bridge the gap between in and out-of-school learning.
Members are near-peer leaders who will serve in three unique spaces:
- School: facilitate information literacy classes for students at Milwaukee area schools
- MPL branch: lead after-school homework help and run an activity with youth at a local library branch
- Summer: support summer reading and learning throughout the city at community organizations
Conditions of Employment
- Individuals who complete an application for general City employment on or after September 1, 2021 and are subsequently appointed to a position must provide proof of being vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e., received both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) or have an approved religious or medical accommodation within ten business days of their employment start date.
- This is an 11-month national service term (September 2023-August 2024)
- Have a high school diploma before the start of the service year
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the service year
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
- Pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Use of an automobile (with valid driver's license and current auto insurance) is highly recommended but not required for this position.
- Experience (or high interest) in education, working with youth, information literacy, and STEM programming
- Undergraduate degree
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to relate well to and communicate well with people of various ages and from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Able to work accurately under pressure both independently and in a team-based environment
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Publisher)
- Comfortable with data collection and ongoing tracking of information
- Uses successful organization and time management strategies
- Desire to be of service to others
Current Stipend and Benefits
Full-time members completing 1,700 hours will get a living stipend of $25,000 for the service term, and half-time members completing 900 hours will get a living stipend of $13,200 for the service term, paid biweekly in equal installments.
In addition to receiving your LibraryCorps living stipend, members have access to many benefits including:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- $250 monthly housing stipend
- $10 monthly cell phone stipend
- Mileage reimbursement
- Education award upon successful completion of the program, $6,895 for full-time members, $3,447.50 for half-time members
- And more!
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants should expect to hear about the next steps within one week of submitting their application.
How to apply