Central Library grand staircase view from 2nd floor
The Grand Staircase, which connects the 1st and 2nd floor, has changed 3 times over the decades. When the building opened in 1898 this area was the closed stack/book storage area with no publicly accessible staircase. Staff would pull the books from this storage area when they were requested in the Delivery Room by patrons. When the 4th addition was added, the building needed to create another way to access the 2nd floor so an escalator was installed in this space connecting the 2 floors. It was completed and opened in 1955. In 1990/1991 the escalator was removed and was replaced by a wooden staircase. About 10 years later, the wooden staircase was removed and the current marble staircase was installed. The installation began in 2000 and was officially opened February 11, 2001. The marble staircase is made of Ramon gold Jerusalem stone, quarried in Israel. Among the balusters is one which was placed upside down. See if you can find it!
Central Library escalator, 1956
Central Library wooden grand staircase, 1990s
Central Library marble grand staircase, 2001-present
Next stop: Friends of the Library Bookseller/Cafe
Previous stop: General Reference and Business Commons