All teachers currently employed at a school located within the City of Milwaukee (public, charter, or private), are eligible. Teacher cards may be used to check out school-related materials from any Milwaukee Public Library.
- Proof of employment by a school located within the City of Milwaukee is required.
- Teachers who reside within Milwaukee County are eligible to apply for both a teacher and a personal library card.
- The teacher card is valid for one school year. Expiration date is August 31st of the current school year.
Teacher Card Financial Responsibilities, Fees and Fines
- A teacher may check out Milwaukee Public Library materials related to the classroom using this card (no suburban items may be checked out on a teacher card). The card is valid through the current school year. Only the authorized teacher can use the card; library cards are nontransferable.
- Milwaukee Public Library does not charge overdue fines for MPL-owned books checked out on a teacher card, but fines are charged for CDs and DVDs ($5 maximum per item).
- All cardholders, including teacher cards, are billed for the replacement cost of an item approximately 28 days after the item was due.
- Cardholders who return undamaged billed items within one year of the billing date will have the bill reduced to the $5 per item maximum overdue fine.
- If the cardholder finds an item after paying for it, the cost of the item, minus a $5 service charge, will be refunded within 90 days of the date paid, provided the item has not been damaged and is returned to a Milwaukee Public Library staff member.
- All cardholders are responsible for paying for items that are damaged while checked out on their cards.
- Accounts with fines and/or billed items totaling more than $100 will be sent to the Milwaukee Public Library’s contracted collection agency, Unique Management. An additional $10 fee will be added to the account to offset the cost. This fee must be paid, in addition to all other charges, in order to clear the account.