Happy Birthday Browser!
Get LOUD and celebrate the birthday of Browser the Library Lion!
Join us for a Library Loud Days event!
Wish Browser a Happy Birthday while joining in lots of fun and games. Ms. Jen and the Jellyfish will perform and magician Tim Glander will make balloon creations.
Saturday, July 29, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Party guests can “check out” these fun party games and activities:
- Pin the nose on Browser
- Face painting
- Singing and dancing on the story steps
- Silly stories in our story nook
- Special prizes and giveaways while supplies last
Feel free to download and print our Browser the Library Lion coloring sheets
Who is Browser the Library Lion?
Browser was introduced to the city (without a name) at the Grand Avenue Mall on April 20, 1985 for National Library Week and Imagination Celebration, a week-long series of city-wide arts events for children. He was also part of Milwaukee’s City of Festivals parade on June 22, 1985. The sculpted lion was created by local artist Bob Geniusz under the direction of Marjorie Walker, director of Theatre School Ltd.
A naming contest was held during the summer and Browser the Library Lion was selected from several hundred entries. Eight-year-old Kathleen Simeth was the only one to submit the winning name of “Browser the Library Lion.”
Browser was given his first makeover as a live mascot in late 1993. In 2016,
he was given another makeover, and along with that came the idea of officially
celebrating Browser’s Birthday - August 1.
Browser Fun Facts:
- Browser is a born-and-bred Milwaukeean whose best friends include the Cat in the Hat, Curious George, and Billy Bookworm.
- His favorite color is Super Reader Red and he enjoys reading Color Zoo by his good friend Lois Ehlert and Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen.
- Hobbies include reading, going to the library, and bowling, and he loves music, dancing, grand openings and hugs.
- Browser also collects bookmarks of all shapes and sizes - especially homemade bookmarks.