The plan to replace the Mill Road Library with a new branch inside a mixed-use apartment building on Good Hope Road is still in progress. Last year the project did not receive the tax credits needed to finance the mixed-income apartments above the library space. The library and developer are again pursuing the credits in the 2017 round. If awarded credits, the project will break ground in the fall of 2017.
The new development at 7717 W. Good Hope Road will comprise a larger state of the art 17,500 square foot library space similar to other new MPL facilities including:
- Flexible, open spaces
- An expanded and more flexible community room
- Greater access to computers and technology
- More parking
The overall $14 - $15 million dollar project is being developed by Royal Capital LLC and Maures Development Group including:
- 65 mixed income 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartment units
- Separate parking for apartment residents
- Green space
- The Mill Road branch will remain open during construction.
- A decision on the financing for affordable housing tax credits is expected in May or June 2017.
- If credits awarded, construction will begin fall 2017 with library move-in slated for Fall/Winter 2018.