East Library, located at 1910 E. North Ave., opened in 1968 and features
a special art collection, Works of Wisconsin Artists, donated by William
and Virginia Vogel. A striking feature of the building is the ceiling-height,
multi-colored glass panels, designed by Conrad Schmitt Studios.
In addition to providing an especially strong fiction and videocassette
collection reflecting the diverse and eclectic interests of the East
Side community, the library also maintains a small collection of materials
in the Russian language. Patrons also have access to bestsellers,
classics, picture books, magazines, newspapers, books on tape and
a compact disc collection which includes many jazz and classical titles.
Library offers Book Club Kits to patrons who are members of book
clubs. The kits can be checked out the same as all other materials
and include paperback copies of the chosen title, a discussion guide
which includes information about the author, suggestions for discussion
questions, and ideas for starting a book club.
"East Library has a wonderful
location between the Milwaukee River and the beautiful Lake Michigan
shoreline. Patrons enjoy the wide variety of materials including
folk and fairy tales for children and a delectable assortment of
-- Rachel Collins
Library Branch Manager